Guidelines for the Academia Sinica Grand Challenge Program
Approved on February 24, 2021
- The Academia Sinica Grand Challenge Program (GCP) has been established to encourage researchers to pursue innovative solutions for critical problems in science and the humanities that have broad and lasting impact. These Guidelines have been established to promote this end.
- Project Principal Investigators (PI) for GCP projects must be AS full-time Research Fellows (equivalent or above).
- GCP projects may be classified into the following categories according to project period and stage:
- Grand Challenge Seed Projects: Short-term Seed Grants are provided to fund exploratory projects for one or two years aimed at cultivating ideas in early stages of development.
- Grand Challenge Research Projects: Funding is provided for five years to support highly developed projects with concrete ideas.
- GCP projects may be classified into the following categories according to project scale:
- Individual Research Projects
- Team Research Projects
- Institute/Research Center-based Team Research Projects
- To apply for a GCP project, the applicant’s host unit should submit the following documents to AS:
- Research proposal
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae and list of recent publications
- Academia Sinica has established review committees for each of its three Divisions: Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences, Division of Life Sciences, and Division of Humanities and Social Sciences. Committee members will consult reports by experts in relevant fields and hold review meetings. The final list for each Division will be approved during a joint meeting of all three committees.
- A Project Execution Agreement should be submitted prior to commencing a project. Project execution and evaluation should be processed in accordance with the Agreement.
- Should a PI be involved in academic ethics violations or conflict of interest regulations, his or her case will be processed according to the “Guidelines for the Establishment and Operation of Ethics Committees at All Levels, Academia Sinica.”
- These Guidelines and amendments thereof have been approved by the General Assembly, and approved and promulgated by the Academia Sinica President.