Founded in 1928, Academia Sinica has earned a reputation for being Taiwan’s national academic institution. Our statutory mission is to pursue research excellence, nurture academic talent, and issue policy advisories.
Academia Sinica currently has 24 institutes and 8 research centers located in three research sections: the Mathematics and Physical Sciences Division, Life Sciences Division, and Division of Humanities and Social Sciences. There are currently over 8,000 research fellows, research technicians, assistants, and administrative staff, making it a rare research institution internationally that achieves a balanced development in both natural sciences and humanities and social sciences.
There are three central objectives at Academia Sinica: 1) achieve excellence on a global standard; 2) fulfil social responsibilities in crucial areas; and 3) attract and cultivate top talent. We aspire to fulfill these objectives and contribute to social progress from an academic perspective.
In recent years, Academia Sinica has attained influential results in biomedical sciences, basic biology, basic physics, structural biology, astrophysics, information sciences, as well as in history, Sinology, and the social sciences. With a focus on basic research, Academia Sinica is dedicated to conducting in-depth studies on key social issues, such as innovative technologies for achieving net-zero emissions, quantum science and technology, and mRNA technology platform establishment.
Academia Sinica actively recruits talent and collaborates with domestic universities to establish the Taiwan International Graduate Program (TIGP), taught entirely in English to attract students from both Taiwan (50%) and abroad to engage in research. There are currently 13 programs in TIGP, providing doctoral scholarships, advanced research instruments, and employment counseling to encourage young scholars to pursue doctorate degrees.
We have launched collaborations with academic institutions worldwide, signing cooperation agreements with 57 countries and 608 domestic and international research institutes. Furthermore, Academia Sinica maintains close collaborations with major universities in Taiwan in academic work, talent exchange, and funding. By jointly appointing personnel and collaborating on academic publications, it effectively enhances the research capabilities of universities and contributes to student education.
Academia Sinica aspires to lead the nation’s academic development and research standards by pursuing three objectives: 1) achieve excellence on a global standard, 2) fulfil social responsibilities in crucial areas, and 3) attract and cultivate top talent. Through these efforts, it aims to contribute to the world and benefit humanity.
Video and E-bookPresidents of Academia Sinica Since Founding
Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences
- Institute of Mathematics
- Institute of Physics
- Institute of Chemistry
- Institute of Earth Sciences
- Institute of Information Science
- Institute of Statistical Science
- Institute of Atomic and Molecular Sciences
- Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Research Center for Applied Sciences
- Research Center for Environmental Changes
- Research Center for Information Technology Innovation
Division of Life Sciences
- Institute of Plant and Microbial Biology
- Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology
- Institute of Biological Chemistry
- Institute of Molecular Biology
- Institute of Biomedical Sciences
- Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center
- Genomics Research Center
- Biodiversity Research Center
- Biomedical Translation Research Center
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Institute of History and Philology
- Institute of Ethnology
- Institute of Modern History
- Institute of Economics
- Institute of European and American Studies
- Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy
- Institute of Taiwan History
- Institute of Sociology
- Institute of Linguistics
- Institute of Political Science
- Institutum Iurisprudentiae
- Research Center for Humanities and Social Sciences
- Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences
- Address：128 Academia Road, Section 2, Nankang, Taipei 11529, Taiwan
- Phone：Tel: +886-2-27822120~9 (10 lines)